- 2 c sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1t salt
- 2T granulated sugar
- 5 ½ T unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 extra large egg, beaten
- ½ cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 2T unsalted butter, melted
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 1T orange zest
- 6 to 8 c fresh berries washed and dried (such as blueberries, strawberries,
- ¾ to 1 c granulated sugar, depending on how sweet the berries are
- 1 to 1 ½ c heavy (whipping) cream, whipped and lightly sweetened
with 2t of granulated sugar
Preheat the oven to 425º F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Using a pastry blender, 2 knives, or your fingertips, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse cornmeal. In a small bowl, combine the egg and cream and add to the flour mixture, mix until just blended together.
Turn out the batter onto a lightly floured board and knead for 1 minute. Roll dough into a rectangle approximately 4 inches by 8 inches. Brush the dough with the melted butter. Sprinkle with sugar and orange zest. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, and seal the long seam by pinching it together lightly with your fingers.
Cut the roll into eight 1 inch thick slices. Lay slices down sideways on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until scones are golden.
Slice the strawberries and place in a large pretty bowl with other whole berries if available. Sprinkle with sugar and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. To serve, heap spoonfuls of berries over each scone and top with freshly whipped cream.
Makes 8 scones