January 2023 Newsletter Featured Recipe: Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
You can prep this easy baked oatmeal recipe the night before for an easy morning, or you can bake it right away. Perfect for the cold winter mornings and help keep you full longer.
- 2 Cups old fashioned oats*
- 3/4 Cups milk
- 1 Cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 Cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/4 Cup maple syrup or brown sugar
- 2 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp. salt
- 2 Cups blueberries (fresh and frozen both work)
- Add the oats, milk, applesauce, walnuts, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Lightly grease a 7 X 11 inch rectangular baking dish. Spread half the oat mixture in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle about 3/4 of the blueberries. Top with the remaining oat mixture, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top. You can also sprinkle on some extra walnuts if you like.
- (Baking the next Morning) Cover the casserole dish and chill in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, remove dish from fridge, preheat oven to 350 F. Bake until set and golden on top, about 30-35 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes on a rack on the counter, then slice and serve warm.
- (Baking right away) Make sure to use quick-cooking oats, let the assembled oats sit on the counter for 10 minutes while you preheat the oven, and live with the fact that it's a little less cake-like.
*If baking right away, be sure to use QUICK BAKING OATS rather than old fashioned oats.